I’m just going to get right to it.
- I’m not sure if I shampooed my hair this morning or just conditioned it twice. It’s that kind of day.
- I recently signed up for Birchbox – and I got my first box this month. Birchbox is a great way to try new make-up and skincare products – for $10 a month, you get a box filled with samples and products tailored to your profile (skin type, lifestyle, products you’re interested in, etc.). My favorite discovery in this month’s box is Simple’s Revitalizing Eye Roll-On. It’s a game-changer. If you’re looking for a way to minimize puffiness or dark circles around your eyes (or like me, just to look more awake in the mornings), I highly recommend it. Put it on underneath your regular make-up and you’re good to go. You’re welcome.
- My latest Netflix distraction is The West Wing, the Aaron Sorkin masterpiece from the late 1990s-early 2000s. Charlie likes to watch it, too. Probably because there’s a character named Charlie – little pup’s ears perk up every time he hears his name through the speakers. I’m a big fan of Sorkin’s most recent project, The Newsroom on HBO, and I’ve long been slightly obsessed with his play-turned-movie, A Few Good Men. I highly recommend them all if you’re looking for some thoughtful, witty, well-written entertainment.
- My allergies have been attacking me in waves. April has been pretty miserable for anything above my neckline. But at least everything is pretty and green around here now. You can move along, pollen. Your time here is done.
- I’ve been experimenting with social media lately. I must say, I’m not a Twitter fan, except for the funny musings Harry Connick Jr. posts on a daily basis. Twitter is a great way to find out what’s going on at local businesses and restaurants, but other than that, I think I’m pretty much over it. I’m enjoying my foray into Instagram land, though. Seeing pictures helps me pretend I’m getting to experience things with all of you who are so far away. Keep ’em coming, friends! (And let me know if you’re instagram-ing…I’ll be sure to follow you!)
- The Hoadley family is about to get a whole lot cuter. I know, I know…how is that possible, you ask? Little Nimitz will be coming home with us in less than 2 weeks – and we couldn’t be more excited. Here’s a picture of his sisters at 4 weeks – aren’t they precious? I’m going to be outnumbered 3 to 1 – 3 boys, 3 things to clean up after, 3 things to love…however you want to look at it. I have a lot to learn about being a puppy owner. Let’s hope this goes well.
- My parents visited at the beginning of the month. My dad, being the quick thinker that he is, decided to take advantage of Southwest’s “two bags fly free” policy and filled a suitcase with a Kristen time capsule to bring along with him. When I opened it, I found an old scrapbook that I had started circa 1993, old basketball trophies and awards, a DVD of home videos – including my very first dance recital, and some other treasures. It’s been great to flip through the scrapbook and reminisce about the good ol’ days. Thanks, Dad.
- And here’s more cuteness. Double cuteness. And great news, friends: I get to hug them soon! I finally get to meet my newest little nephews. I’m so looking forward to seeing these sweethearts and their amazing family.
- One of the greatest habits my parents instilled in me as a child is this: writing thank you notes. I mean old-fashioned, hand-written, snail-mailed thank you notes. It’s a simple gesture that can take less than two minutes, but I guarantee you it will be appreciated. Sometimes I take it too far and send a thank you note for a thank you note. But that’s another story. It’s good to let people know you recognize their generosity, and that they matter to you.
- I think Pandora is spying on me. They know when I need a peppy song, when I need a that’s-what-I’m-trying-to-communicate-but-can’t-articulate song, and when I just need a John Mayer song. I wouldn’t survive my work days without you, Pandora.
- I’m counting down the days until the premiere of The Great Gatsby. I finally understand the anticipation of all of you Twilight and Harry Potter fans…kind of. It looks amazing. Simply amazing.
We’ve survived April, friends. It was a doozy. But we did it. Bring it on, May. We are so ready for you.